As women struggle during menopause with rapid and often unexpected weight gain, it’s very important to understand the science behind clean eating.
Remembering it’s NOT deprivation, it’s a CHOICE. However, I think the changes are more acceptable and perhaps reasonable if we can relate to our body’s chemical reaction during Menopause to poor diet (unintentional) and high carbohydrate intake. Women may not naturally have the best grasp of proper nutrition and may be wasting unnecessary calories…. empty calories.
So let’s talk science…high sugar and/or high carbohydrates spikes our blood sugar and Cortisol. In fact, high Cortisol at bedtime can be a common occurrence during Menopause which affects our sleep pattern and blood sugar. Our body can literally be gaining weight overnight creating the horrendous muffin top often associated with high Cortisol. Even one glass of wine after dinner can have long lasting negative effects on our blood sugar. Our insulin weakens with age leading many of us down the road of becoming pre-diabetic or insulin resistance. Our body simply can’t recover as quickly from the spikes caused by sugar and carbohydrates. It can actually take days to recover. Eating off the grid of clean eating also causes discomfort such as bloating and water retention. Another reminder of the science of clean eating!
Here are 5 Takeaways:
- Clean-eating is NOT about calorie counting..who has time! If we eat clean and limit bad carbohydrates, calorie reduction naturally follows. Let’s make it as simple as possible with the understanding that rice crackers, canned fruit, flavoured tuna, and rice cakes, are not our best choice. Avocado is great however in a very limited portion. A flavoured drink with Zero calories (& often natural flavours) is as dangerous as pop! Remember if it’s low in sugar, it’s often high in salt!
- It’s important to create a reasonable, sustainable lifestyle that FITS your family with no EXTRA prep or meal planning. Eat within your current template. Reduce or eliminate your carbohydrates and be mindful of your portions. You can still cook pasta and rice for the kids just fill your plate with the same meat and vegetables.
- Releasing unwanted weight takes accountability and the willingness to make consistent changes with the understanding that it’s all about optimizing your health. Eliminate carbohydrates to reduce Cortisol, balance your blood sugar and sleep better!
- Every change makes a difference…. eliminate cream and drink your coffee black…eliminate salad dressing or switch to lemon and vinegar. It all adds up to empty, unwanted calories.
- Don’t expect yourself to do it alone! Its always best to balance your hormones with clean eating and a natural supplement program to match the template of your unique chemistry. This foundation of support will eliminate those unwanted symptoms of Menopause alongside re-setting your metabolism.
My message is clear! Remember the science behind eating clean and picture the outcome. Optimal health!
Remember not every day will be perfect! However TODAY IS A NEW DAY! Set your intentions and create a positive mindset around clean eating! Its ALL about Science!!